Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bhendi Amti

I remember as child my mom would often make this goan fish curry with coconut, kokam and onions. After I got married and came to states I neither made it or nor got a chance to eat.
I found this bhendi amti recipe which is similar to the goan fish curry at http://chakali.blogspot.com/2012/01/bhendichi-amti.html and it suddenly reminded me of ghar ka khana. I called up my mom immediately and asked her the recipe of the goan fish curry. Instead of adding fish I have added Okra. It tastes yummy. 
Ingredients
  • 10-15 Okras 
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1/4 cup dry grated coconut
  • 1" ginger
  • 2 pinches jeera
  • 1/2 spoon dhaniya jeera powder
  • 5-6 kokam
  • Red chilli powder
  • Turmeric
  • Curry leaves
  • Hing
  • Salt
  • Oil
Process->In a blender make a smooth paste of coconut, ginger, jeera and onions. Cut bhindi/Okra in long slices. Take 2-3 spoons oil in a pan and heat it. On a medium high flame fry the bhindi slices till they are cooked properly and some brown spots appear. In the same pan add the coconut onion paste, curry leaves, hing and fry it on a medium flame till the raw smell has gone and its starts leaving oil. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, 1/2 spoon dhaniya jeera powder, kokam, salt and 3 cups of hot water. Boil the curry and add the fried bhendi. As the gravy is boiling the kokam will release the tangy taste just adjust the taste of salt. Serve it with rice of chapati.

No comments:

Post a Comment