Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tomato rassam

I was introduced to tomato rassam after I came to Tampa. Many of friends from southern India would regularly make rassam. Once I tasted rassam at my friend’s house and from then on I got hooked on to it. It’s like a regular item which I make. My daughter calls rassam soup. The moment she sees me making rassam she is like you made soup….you made soup. There are many ways and styles of making it. This is one of them.

Ingredients
  • 2 big tomatoes
  • 2 spoon toor dal
  • 3 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 small tamarind
  • 1 spoon MTR rassam powder
  • Salt
  • Turmeric
  • 1 dried red chilli
  • Curry leaves
  • Mustard seeds
  • Jeera
  • Hing 
  • 1/2 spoon sugar
  • Corriander leaves
  • Ghee
  • 2 cups hot water
Process->Cut the tomatoes in half and cook it with toor dal in the pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles. Once it has cooled slightly blend it to a smooth puree. Take ghee or oil in small pan. Add the curry leaves, jeera, mustard seeds, hing and dried red chilli and let it splutter. In that add the crushed garlic and turmeric and pour the tomato and dal puree. Add hot water, salt, tamarind and rassam powder. The consistency of water varies as per your choice. Give it a boil. Garnish it with coriander leaves and enjoy it rice.

Note->The quantity of rassam powder will vary as per brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment