Varanphala is a popular dinner option in Maharashtra. Children's favourite dish easy to make and tastes yummy. You can call it a one pot dish. Varan means dal and phala is not fruit but diamonds made from chapati atta. Doesn't it sound interesting? So get all geared up to make it.
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 spoon dry coconut
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Red chilli powder
- Corriander leaves
- 1 cup chapati atta
- Make medium soft dough from the chapati atta. While kneading add salt and jeera. Once it is kneaded add little oil on the dough and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Pressure cook the toor dal and turmeric till is soft.
- After 15 minutes roll a thin chapati and cut small diamonds with a knife. Make more diamonds by rolling 3-4 chapatis. Cover the diamonds with paper napkin so that they don't dry.
- Make a paste of garlic and coconut in a blender. Take oil in pan add jeera, mustard seeds, curry leaves and add the garlic coconut paste and fry it. In that add the tomatoes, hing, red chilli powder and corriander leaves and toss it. The tomatoes will cook and get mushy. Add the dal and adjust the salt and sugar as per taste. Add two cups of hot water to the dal.
- Once the dal starts boiling add the small diamonds one by one. Cook it for 5-10 mins. Switch of the gas once it has cooked. Serve in a broad bowl and drizzle some ghee and enjoy it steaming hot.
Note->Roll thin chapatis and cut small diamonds.